Friday, June 13, 2008

I can't conjure up the exact Bill Bryson quote or even the book (must have been Notes from a Small Island), but I seem to recall him saying something along the lines of, "If you ever see an Englishman on holiday, chances are he's one of the following: hot, thirsty, or sun-burned." I thought of this when I learned David Gedge has picked up and moved south from Seattle to Los Angeles. Wasn't one of the go-to whines during England's lethargic crawl in the 2006 World Cup the oppressive heat? Imagine what the SoCal sun would render our favorite love-obsessed Leedsman? A puddle? Blisters? A puddle of blisters?

El Rey bounds with energy, so the heat hasn't sapped him of that. Now he just makes observations like, "I thought I saw a shooting star, but it was just another satellite." If you told me years ago that of the 22 bands on the C86 tape only the Wedding Present and Primal Scream would still be alive and kicking in 2008, and that one of their lead singers would have settled in California, I would have bet Stephen Pastel's lisp that it was Bobby Gillespie.

But I would have been wrong. I would have been wrong about Gedge withering out there and I'm probably going to be wrong about England having a solid chance in the 2010 World Cup thanks to South Africa's "cooler," winter temps.

1 comment:

Gordon Sewer said...

England have about as much chance of getting to South Africa 2010 as I do.