Monday, September 15, 2008

"Blew me away," Tricky said of Martina Topley-Bird's voice. "Drove me crazy. A naturally wicked voice. I actually lost a girlfriend over it, because I listened to the track so much."

Gowns' "White Like Heaven" may cause similar damage. I listen to it over and over again, till I'm out of breath and my chest feels constricted. Like Tricky, I'm feeling melancholic. Not melodic. Only I have no one to plop me in the middle of a room, and force me to listen to Billie Holiday and Nina Simone. Thus, I compensate with Gowns; their heaven is as white as the light boxes I surround myself with during the autumn months.

Remember when Tricky said "switch on / switch off" in the song "Black Steel?" This is crucial. The light boxes switch on / switch off, but as much as you wish you could, it's impossible.

No comments: