Monday, December 8, 2008

I suppose I'm akin to Jason Pierce when it comes to spiritual music, in that I'm drawn to a particular artist's ability to strengthen resolve, invoke peace, uplift, polish the soul, etc., rather than their inevitable message about our relationships with God. This is partly why I'm enjoying the Welcome Wagon so thoroughly. "He Never Said a Mumblin' Word" sounds like a lost folk ditty Alan Lomax would have catalogued. It's a narrative about the crucifixion ("They nailed him to a tree / And he never said a mumblin' word"), but it's the core themes of courage, steadfastness, and self-sacrifice I'm truly digging on.

On a side note, I recently read that there are over 800 references to music and its use in the Bible -- roughly a quarter of which detail Jesus' days as a teenage roadie for the Lemon Pipers.

No comments: