Thursday, May 3, 2012

Mmmm ... Chicken Sandwich


Chicken Sandwich - Complete Discography
Bridgetown #52


So right now I'm holding a cassette from an Oakland garage-punk trio named Chicken Sandwich. The album is named Complete Discography, a title that betrays either a fondness for deception or a propensity for self-deprecating humor. That's because Chicken Sandwich's complete discography consists of just four songs. However, after one spin, it all makes sense. Sonically, Chicken Sandwich don't get adventurous; the adventure is in how long they can maintain the vocal shrieks (my favorite couplet: "I know I sometimes just think about boobs/But I swear I'm mostly just dreaming of you"; I only know this because a little slip of paper inside the tape contained the lyrics) and messy chords and fitful drumming and missed notes before the whole thing collapses into chaos. Four songs are as far as they can take this.

No comments: